EPC's (Energy Performance Certificates)

Energy Performance GraphicThe Energy Performance of buildings directive (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 will be implemented by 1st Oct 2008. All buildings on the market after this date require a certificate by law. This regulation introduces new statutory requirements for buildings to have Commercial Energy Performance Certificates (CEPC) and for certain buildings to have a displayed energy certificate. Inspection of air-conditioning systems is also required from January 2009.

An EPC tells you how energy efficient your property is 

An EPC tells you how energy efficient your property is, using a scale from A to G called the Asset Rating. Band A represents the most efficient property which is likely to have the lowest fuel bills and have less impact on the environment. Energy efficiency is based on CO2 emissions. An EPC remains valid for ten years (subject to building modifications).

Timetable for implementation

6th April 2008 CEPC required when commercial buildings over 10,000m2 are built, sold or let.

1st July 2008 CEPC required when commercial buildings over 2,500m2 are built, sold or let.

1st October 2008 CEPC required when all other commercial buildings over 50 sq meters are built, sold or let

How does an Energy Performance Certificate affect me?

If you construct, sell or lease a property, regardless of its size, an EPC is required. Or, if you make certain building modifications that involve the addition or removal of building parts, or the extension or introduction of heating, ventilation and air conditioning services, you will also need an EPC. If you do not comply with the regulations regarding an EPC, you could face a maximum penalty for non-compliance.

An EPC can only be produced by an accredited commercial energy assessor. The assessor must be accredited for your type of building, which is rated on a scale depending on its complexity.

An EPC is required for nearly all buildings, including:

  • Retail units and shops
  • Industrial units
  • Offices
  • Hotels
  • Care homes
  • New build homes
  • Rental property
  • Public institutions
  • Government buildings

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. The following properties do not require an EPC:

  • Places of worship
  • Buildings which are less than 50m squared and stand alone
  • Temporary building with a planned life of less than two years
  • Buildings which will be demolished within two years
  • Industrial premises where the space is mostly not heated or cooled, and will therefore have low energy use

Can an energy performance certificate save me money?

An EPC will be accompanied by a Recommendation Report. This will describe measures that could save money and energy.

How can Johal Regan Chartered Surveyors help me?

The Johal Regan team is well trained and fully qualified to provide an EPC. We will help with all aspects of your EPC requirements, which can be complex and confusing:

  • We will advise if you need to obtain an EPC
  • We will explain exactly when an EPC is required, whether you are a developer, landlord or are looking to sell a property
  • We can provide expert information if you are dealing with a multi-tenancy property

How much does an energy performance certificate cost?

To receive a quote for an Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (CEPC):

If you would like to discuss your plans and get a quote, contact us on 020 7175 1441 or use our contact form.